October 26, 2017
Halloween is so close, we can almost touch it. If we haven’t told you already, we just LOVE Halloween. There are so many ways to enjoy this fun, festive, spooky (or not-so-spooky) day! We’ve covered Halloween decor, party treats, costumes, and party beverages in our recent blog posts. These posts are packed full of ideas to help you have the most successful, exciting Halloween adventure!
Today, we’re wrapping up our series with the final piece of the Halloween puzzle: CANDY! Which candies are the most popular? What are the healthiest options? We’ve got all the answers.
MOST POPULAR OPTIONS:
According to POPSUGAR, kids ranked their favorite candy and the top 8 results were pretty surprising (ie: Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups did NOT make the list!). Sweet treats like Smarties, Starbursts, Skittles, and Nerds made the cut, as did some chocolate favorites like M&Ms and Twix. To see the full list, click here.
Not all candy is created equal - in terms of heart health and calorie count! There ARE better choices that you can make. You’ll be happy to hear that tons of delicious & popular options made the Greatist list of 20 healthier Halloween candy. Dark chocolate, Twizzlers, even Reese’s made it on the list - click here to see the healthiest Halloween candy choices!
THE “LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT” CANDIES:
We have 2 words: candy corn. We could debate all night about it but if you love it, you love it, and if you don’t, there is no changing your mind - and there’s no in-between! Same seems to be true for some nostalgic Halloween treats: candy buttons and circus peanuts.
Candy isn’t the only option; there are plenty of other things that you can hand out to trick-or-treaters. Play-doh, temporary tattoos, stickers, and bubbles, just to name a few, are great ideas. Consider joining the Teal Pumpkin Project movement, which raises awareness of food allergies and promotes inclusion of all trick-or-treaters throughout the Halloween season. Make your home a safe spot for all kids!
We hope you have a very Happy Halloween! Tell us: what is your FAVORITE Halloween candy?
October 21, 2017
Halloween Party Ideas
Ready to party? We are (almost) ready! We’ve published some recent blog posts with great tips and inspiration for your Halloween decor, treats, and costumes. Which got us thinking...you’ll need something to wash down all of those delicious recipes we shared, right? So, we’re following up with some spooky - and not-so-spooky - Halloween-themed drink ideas for your upcoming soiree!
- A vanilla milkshake with whipped cream or, as Martha Stewart calls it, a Boo-Nilla Shake! You can use a small paintbrush to paint a melted chocolate face on the inside of your glass before you pour in the drink. Adorable & delicious!
- Here’s another quick tip from Martha! Put gummy worms & water into ice cube trays and freeze. Then, you can add these worm ice cubes to any clear drink & watch the kids squirm!
- When the weather is cool, make the drinks hot. (Or, for the kids, make them lukewarm!) This Halloween hot chocolate recipe from This Grandma Is Fun looks really cute. Change it up with different food coloring and various toppings - perfect for kids of all ages.
21 or over only:
- These Glowing Jell-o shots will be the ‘shinning’ star at your Halloween party - pun intended! These shots have vodka in them so make sure your party attendees are of age to drink alcohol!
- Everyone loves pumpkin spice - so consider serving this Pumpkin Spice Punch recipe from HGTV! Serve in a pitcher, punch bowl, or, for more flavor, a pumpkin!
- This Hard Cider Pumpkin Float is SO easy to make and looks the part of a spooky Halloween treat! Use your favorite ale and your favorite gelato or ice cream, and you’ve got a winning Halloween dessert drink!
- Let’s face it...when it comes to candy corn, you either love ‘em or you hate ‘em! Fortunately for the haters, these candy corn Jell-o shots only LOOK like the famous Halloween candy; they taste like a delicious creamsicle.
Are you thirsty yet? Tell us: What are you planning to serve/drink at your upcoming Halloween party?
October 12, 2017
With less than three weeks until October 31st, we are officially in the Halloween spirit! We hope you’ve enjoyed our last couple of blog posts where we talked about Halloween decor and DIY treats. But, if you haven’t already, it’s time to start thinking about your costume! Here are some tips to help you outfit the entire family with the coolest costumes of 2017!
- Grab your friends and dress as the gang from a popular TV show, like Stranger Things or Game of Thrones, or movie, like It or Star Wars. Buy your costumes or get creative and DIY!
- Superheroes are ALWAYS a win! There are so many great options to choose from and you can dress up as one superhero or do it as a big group.
- Costumes that continue to be popular every year: sports teams, witches, ghosts, Disney characters, the cast of Grease or The Addams Family, just to name a few!
COSTUMES FOR THE KIDS
- Occupations, like police officer, firefighter, mailman, or construction worker, are an awesome option for kids of all ages because they love to play dress-up and wear a uniform!
- Animal costumes, like lions, cats, or mice, are adorable - the younger the child, the cuter they look!
- Disney characters make great costumes. Princes and princesses, the cast of the Descendants or Despicable Me, or good old Mickey and Minnie are sure to excite your child and make for great photo opps!
- What is cuter than a dog in a costume? We’ll answer: not much!! From sushi rolls to cowboys, here are some outfits that will make you smile! http://ow.ly/qivs30fNVaR
- As long as Fido is up for it, we say get him in on the trick-or-treating action (minus the treats - chocolate is poisonous to dogs)! Here are some more pet costumes for your dog or cat: http://ow.ly/b1Pb30fNWir
We want to know: what are you and your family dressing up as for Halloween this year?
October 5, 2017
We’re just getting our feet wet with our ‘All Things Halloween’ series on the blog. Last week, we touched on decor with some great tips and options to decorate your home. Today, we’re coming in with delicious do-it-yourself treats that will satisfy every ghost, ghoul, and goblin that RSVPs to your Halloween party!
We found some delicious, easy-to-make recipes that you and your guests can indulge in before you head out to trick-or-treat on October 31st!
Tell us which treats you plan to make to celebrate Halloween this year!