September 21, 2017
Good Time of Year For Apple Picking
We love this time of year. It’s all about family, togetherness, wonderful weather, cozy sweaters, mugs of hot tea - and apple picking! Here are some interesting apple facts: There are over 2,500 different types of apples grown in the United States and they are grown in all 50 states! However, the crabapple is the ONLY type of apple that is native to the U.S..
They say, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away!” Apples, a member of the rose family of plants, are fat-, sodium-, and cholesterol-free, and a great source of fiber! They’re convenient to store, to pack, and to eat! Apple trees take four to five years to produce their first fruit but, once they do, they’re the gift that keeps on giving; the average lifespan of an apple trees is 100 years!
We’re jumping on the apple bandwagon and are excited to make some delicious homemade recipes this season: applesauce, apple pie, apple fritters, apple tart, apple crisp, apple turnovers, apple cider, baked apples, oh the possibilities are endless!
In order to make your recipe taste great, though, you need to use the best apples. But how do you pick the perfect apple? We’ll tell you….
- Choose firm apples. The firmer the apple, the better the fruit will hold up when you cook it.
- The apples nearest the outside of the tree are the ones that ripen first.
- Don’t just pull on the apple to remove it. Gently twist it off of the tree.
- Once you remove an apple from a tree, they’re done ripening!
Let us leave you with this delicious recipe. Enjoy!
MICROWAVE BAKED APPLES (For the full recipe, click here)
1. Cut off top 1/2 inch from each apple. With melon baller, core through stem ends without breaking through bottom.
2. Place in a glass pie plate; sprinkle with sugar and spices.
3. Cover. Microwave on Medium-High for 8 minutes or until tender. Let stand, covered, for 3 minutes. Add toppings and Enjoy!
September 21, 2017
Fall Is In The Air
Fall is in the air - and we couldn’t be happier! Fall foods, fall fun; there are so many reasons to fall in love with fall.
Here are a few of our favorites:
- Weather / Foliage - The crispness in the air and the colors of the leaves changing - it’s a wonderful sight to see, and feel! Take out your sweaters, mugs of tea, and good books. It’s time to get cozy!
- Holidays - Halloween and Thanksgiving - need we say more? Halloween is fun, creative, spooky, and exciting. Thanksgiving is a wonderful time to reflect, give thanks, spend time with family and friends, and eat!
- PSL - Pumpkin Spice Latte is, for some people, the reason for the season! Pumpkin here, pumpkin there, pumpkin flavor is literally EVERYWHERE during the fall! It’s a hot debate amongst friends because you either love it, or you don’t! Where does your vote “fall”?
- Apple Picking - Looking to make homemade applesauce or delicious apple pie? Use fresh apples - pick them straight off the tree!
New season, new to-do list:
- Health Checklist - This is the perfect time to schedule appointments with your Internist (for your annual physical), Dentist (for your biannual cleaning), and Opthamologist (to check your vision).
- Fall Cleaning - Much like spring, fall is a great time for a deep clean and thorough purge. Go through your fridge, freezer, and pantry and throw out expired foods. Go through your closet, and your kids’ closets, and take out clothes that are too big, too small, or out-dated. You can also pick through your kids’ toys & books and remove any that aren’t age-appropriate anymore. Then, you can donate EVERYTHING in your “no-go” pile to a worthy cause! It will also make more room in your house for all of the Christmas and Hanukkah gifts that will show up in December!
We want to know: What is YOUR favorite part of fall
September 10, 2017
Ahhh, can you feel it? The hot summer weather is starting to dissipate and the fall weather is very slowly peeking in. With less humidity and cooler weather, it’s the perfect storm - for outdoor activities! One of our favorites is hiking! All you need is a friend (because you should never go alone!), your sneakers, some sunscreen, and water. Never been hiking before? You’re missing out! And let us tell you why….
- It’s Informal & Affordable! You don’t HAVE to go on a designated path - you can just start walking. As long as you’re in a safe area that you’re familiar with, you can hike along a trail, in the woods, along a street, wherever your legs may take you!
- You Can Go At Your Own Pace! Pump those arms and take long, hard strides, or take your time and go slow - enjoying the scenery.
- You Can Do It As A Family! This is probably the most important reason that we love hiking! You can strap the little ones in a carrier on your back, and let the older kids hike along with you. We guarantee this is a family fun event that everyone will want to get involved in.
- You Gain Mental Clarity! There is a reason it is called the “great outdoors” - because it really is great, for the mind, body, and spirit! You (and your family) get away from technology, electronics, and chaos, even just for a short time. This can help you think more clearly, increase your energy level, and elevate your mood. It’s a win-win-win!
- It’s Great Exercise! Hiking, like walking or running, is great for your bones, your muscles, and your heart - plus you’re burning calories!
- It’s Fun! You get to explore new plants and trees. You may see some animals that you weren’t expecting to come into contact with. Tread lightly, though - only touch plants or wildlife if you know what they are. You wouldn’t want to ruin your hike by getting poison ivy!